Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Artillery Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Yes, right now we are in the writing stages of the new album, so we are all excited about how it’s going to turn out. We are also rehearsing a lot, since there’s a couple of a tour coming up. 

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and how it differs from the previous recordings?
Well, I don’t think that it differs too radically, but of course, there is going to be some new elements. We are all collaborating and, to me, it seems like the new material is going to be really heavy, fast and even may contain some groove. 
Since the last record, Josh (drums) and I have come along, so how the new material might differ is, of course, my voice and Josh is definitely trying out some interesting drum bits. 

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer material?
I think that it is important to stick the bands ethos, and how the views have been within the band, but at the same time bring something new to the lyrical side of things. 
But we do explore and address the problems of today, both globally but also on a personal level. Some might be entirely placed in the character of the song, but others have a more philosophical side.
This time though, we are maybe a bit more provocative, but that is up to you to decide.

4. The band has a long history going back 30 years, what is it that motivates you to keep going after all these years?
Well, that’s really for the other guys to answer hehe, but as far as I can gather, what is evident to me, is how much fun they are having when they are playing. They enjoy playing metal in a degree that is purely inspirational. 
Artillery is looked upon as simply being the best metal band to be in, and I’ll be damned if they weren’t right 


5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Well, since I only have played 4 shows with the band, I still have no doubt in my mind, that being on the Barge to Hell was some of the most awesome live experiences ever! 
I always try to be as energetic as possible, and hopefully also bring a cozy vibe to the show. I have always loved those shows, where the band is playing hard and fast, and at the same time, in between songs, there exists this friendly bond between the audience and the band.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Yes! We have tours coming up! 
In April we are touring in Denmark, playing at places Artillery never has been before. In May we are embarking on a European tour – so stay tuned on Facebook and our website for tour dates.
We are also planning a tour in USA later this year, so there are definitely coming a lot of Thrash metal Artillery shows your way!  


7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of thrash metal?
As far as my own reception has been, I can only be flattered and honored. In regard of the music, I think that people now know, that Artillery is back (they have been since 2008) and are playing just as dedicated as when they started out. People seem to like the new material a lot, so that’s just great! 


8. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?
I have my old band Ripe and I think everyone is very open to anything interesting, but otherwise there is not much else going on than Artillery these days.


9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I guess you have to look upon Artillery as a band that has some integrity and history as well. Artillery is not suddenly going to deliver a Samba album or bring along synthesizers with funny hairdos, we are going to play thrash until we drop! 
Of course we are trying to push the band and invent new stuff we can do, but Artillery will always be a thrash metal band. 


10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
We are all fans of music, in general, so we all listen to a lot of different music. But we are listening to most new metal releases, both out of passion but also to stay tuned with what’s going on. 
I personally love to listen to anything Mike Patton does, classical music, but mostly metal in all its exciting facets.


11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I love books, along with movies and computer games, so I guess I am the nerd in the band hehe. 
Traveling, friends and family are very important factors for everyone in Artillery.


12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
A big thank you to all the fans and friends who support us constantly! – Stay Metal! \m/

No comments:

Post a Comment