Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Firebreather Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

FIREBREATHER was formed in the winter of 2015. I had just gotten home from a tour with Galvano, which had been my main project for over 12 years and I decided to put that band into a very deep sleep.

Coming from a few years of playing guitar in a duo I knew right away I wanted to get a three piece going, to be more relaxed on my instrument and not having to fill all of that space on my own. FIREBREATHER was going to be that outlet.

After Tommy Hanning and I had been jamming for a bit, we found Kyle Pitcher to cover bass duty. That worked out perfectly.

We recorded the album in late 2016 with Oskar Karlsson at Elementstudion, here in Gothenburg. He did a killer fucking job and he's so easy to work with.

Late spring of 2017 we approached my old partner i crime, Fredrik Käll, original drummer of Galvano, to fill in on a tour and he ended up filling that position permanently.

2.You have an album coming out in October, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented in the recording?

Heavy on the riff, action doom!

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

It's all within the realm of fantasy and magic. Darkness.
This album is heavily influenced by an animated movie from 1983, called ”Fire & Ice”.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Firebreather'?

It just captures the overall mindset for when writing riffs.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how wold you describe your stage performance?

We haven't played a whole lot of shows yet but it was pretty cool to open up for Boris as our first local show. I think Music City in Antwerp has been the best so far, it's always a bunch of fucking fun to play there. Floorshow and it's usually packed.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

Yeah, we're heading out on October 13th, same day the album comes out. We're going to some places we haven't visited yet, with our good buddies in Zaum from Canada. Looks like it'll be three weeks.


7.The album is going to be released on 'Suicide Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Roger and Henrik has been running this label for a long time, without getting stuck in any genre. It's easy to see how passionate they are about music and their label.

I met Roger when I was still playing with Galvano and he expressed that he liked the band alot and I really liked him. We stayed in touch and when I told him about this new band, he was really interested in checking out our stuff. We had a few offers but the more we talked to Roger it became clear how much they wanted to release the album and we really like the drive and passion Suicide Records offers. We just decided to go with them.

They have a lot of killer releases coming up, make sure to follow what they are up to.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of sludge and doom metal?

We've only released one song yet, in the form of a video and it's a bit soon to tell.
Although, so far there seem to be a great vibe and people seem to be digging on it. I know we are.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

We're gonna continue to play the riffs that gets us going and I'm so stoked to write a new album with these guys. Heavy riffs is to be expected.


10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Always listening to Pink Floyd, Sabbath, ZZ Top, Kyuss but also tons of other stuff, like old school soul, funk and country. I'm sure it's all in there, in our music.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

For me personally, I don't have a lot of time between the family and the band. I have a wife and two kids that I'm spening most of my time with outside of playing music.

In general I think we all just like hanging out, drinking beer in the local bars together.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

You even ZZ Top bruh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment