Saturday, April 12, 2014

Nervosa Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?
FERNANDA: Well, people usually think that after the album is out things are a little bit quieter for a band, but that’s the complete opposite! Haha After we recorded it, we had to work on many bureaucratic issues related to the release and also worked hard on a lot of planning to what to do during this process, for example new video, promotion, etc. Right now we’re a little bit more relaxed once the album is finally out at least in Europe  and North America, but there’s still many things to do. We’re now working on a lot of promotion on the album and this involves tony of interviews, and meanwhile we’re working on planning tours, especially in Brazil, South American and Europe! Can’t wait to be on the road for a good while enjoying the result of the hard work before the album was out!

2.Recently you have put out a new album, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical direction of the new recording and also how does it differ from the demo you had release din 2012?
FERNANDA: The musical direction is kind of the same: thrash metal, aggressive and raw! But we have to admit that in a way this album is way different from the EP, because I think it really represents what Nervosa really is nowadays, what Nervosa sounds like, and the reason for that is that when I joined Nervosa, there were some songs ready, of course I proposed changes and added some stuff, including lyrics and vocal melodies, but they didn’t have much of my ideas on them, but this time, it’s pretty well divided between mine and Prika’s ideas, who are the main composers. All the songs this time have mine and her touches and ideas, in all the songs, there are mine and Prika’s riffs, mine and Prika’s lyrics, so it’s pretty mixed, what I think it’s cool! Also, I believe this record is way more mature musically speaking, because we have evolved as people and as musicians!

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
FERNANDA: We like to write about human and realistic aspects and subjects. We live in a fucked up world socially speaking, and when we’re talking about Brazil, that’s a little worse, unfortunately this is an unfair and unequal country, so daily we have to face, live and see around many things we don’t agree with, so there’s a lot of hatred and indignation inside of us, so I use my lyrics as my dearest way of expressing myself, of unburdening and spitting out all this bad feeling we hold inside of us because of the unfair things around us! Also, I like to write about more realistic matters because that way it’s easier to make the listeners not only to identify themselves with the situation i’m writing about or with my opinion and also it’s easier to create a debate between me and the listeners which I think is one of the most important roles lyrics can develop, it’s an awesome tool for a debate, even if the person doesn’t agree with what I wrote, I feel happy because at least the person stopped to think about that, so a debate is created, and if there was more debate, our society would be a lot more peaceful and good!

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nervosa'?
FERNANDA: When I joined Nervosa, Prika had already given this name to her project, but I completely agreed with that, otherwise I would have surely proposed changes for that, but I couldn’t agree more with this name: short, understandable, aggressive and female! Nervosa is an adjective for ‘nervous’, but for girls!

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
FERNANDA: I would describe our performance as very energetic; Each show has a special meaning to me so I play with my heart and soul every time I get on a stage, it doesn’t matter if there’s 1 or 1000 people in front of me! We feel our music very much on stage and honestly we enjoy playing and I guess people can notice that and get excited along with us! Every show is special in a certain way, but one of the most memorable and remarkable to me was when we played the festival Roca N Roll, in Minas Gerais, a Brayilian state! We were a new band, but nevertheless a lot of people who were at the fest knew us and were very excited about see us playing! There around 4 thousand people waiting for us when we got on the stage as the last band at 5 am!!! It was a crazy gig, there was a lot of mosh pit and all our merch was over in a matter of minutes! It was a really cool memory I like to relive in my mind when I can!

6.What are the touring or show plans for the new release?
FERNANDA: We are a band which loves being on the road, and because of that we have toured Brayil extensively, but we never left Brayil for gigs! So our main objective this year after the album is finally released worldwide is keep on playing in new places in Brzil, but we are also already planning South American and European torus! They will definitely happen this year! Hopefully, if the album comes out good in North America, we can try and hopefully get something over there as well!

7.The music has been getting a lot of good compliments from some legendary death and thrash metal musicians, do you feel that is a great honor for the band to have your music liked by some of the greatest extreme metal musicians of all time?

FERNANDA: No doubt it is, and honestly, it’s even more than that, it’s like a dream come true! When you’re a teenage headbanger, especially in Brazil, where metal is not supported very much by the media, government and the mass, that one day you will have a band, and then your metal heroes will listen to your band and know who you are and then they will say something cool about it! So it’s really fulfilling to me, I feel lucky and very thankful about that! And they say this with the bottom of their heart, what is even more special to us, knowing your idols enjoy or at least respect your music is something that there’s no price you can pay for that, it’s worth all your hard work!

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the new album by fans of thrash metal?
FERNANDA: The feedback has been really good so far, better than I expected! All the reviews from the media around the world and also the feedback from fans have been really cool and supportive! Who knew us before is really proud of our work and who got to know us now have showed a lot of respect, which is also very important! I am really happy  to feel I am doing something for metal, I’m making music that people like and that make them feel well the same way that my idols’ music did to me! So i#m reallx accomplished and I can’t wait to be on the road playing all these songs so people can feel the real energy behind the songs the best way possible: live!

9.What musical direction do you see the band heading into during the future?
FERNANDA: I think we tend to be more and more aggressive with time, especially because of our currently influences! I notice that the 3 of us girls in the band have been listening to a lot of death metal, so I think in the next record there will be a little bit faster and more aggressive thrash, very influenced by death metal, but nothing so different that our die hard thrash fans will dislike, our thrash roots will always remain strong and evident!

10.What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
FERNANDA: I have a very wide taste for metal and I listen and support almost all genres, but besides that I listen to a lot of blues and soul, but my main influences and preferences lie on thrash and death metal ahd that will always be what I listen the most! Bands like Slayer, Sepultura, Nuclear Assault, DRI, Sadus, Coroner, Oxbituary, Death, Deicide and Morbid Angel are bands that influenced me and still do when I write songs for Nervosa!

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
FERNANDA: My second greatest passion in life is the movies, that’s the second greatest and finest arts to me! Everytime I can I go to the movies or save some time to appreciate this art! I think just like music, cinema has the capacity of transporting you to another world, to live new experiences and to debate and grow as a human being! Besides that, I love travelling! It’s one of the most refreshing things in life and it always makes good to me!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
FERNANDA: I just would like to thank for this interview opportunity, and just would like to tell everyone who’s reading to keep supporting metal cause all of us, from bands, fans and press, are the only responsible to make this awesome metal culture and legacy to keep on perpetuating through time!

No comments:

Post a Comment