Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Cave of Swimmers Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

Arturo: We’re booking a tour for June-July. We wanna hit up some of the same places we did in March, plus some new ones. Also, we’re preparing to record some new songs we’ve been writing this past year.
Guillermo: Hello Carlos, thank you for having us. We’ve been writing new music, and arranging stuff for our new record that we will hopefully track sometime later this year. It’s all very exciting; we have a summer tour coming up, and we’ve had some amazing gigs lately. It’s all good.

2.Recently you have put out your first full length, can you tell us a little bit more about your musical sound?

A: It’s heavy with a touch of Rumba Samba Mambo.
G: it’s whatever comes more naturally to us, Carlos. You see, when I started playing guitar, I was particularly fond of heavy metal, punk rock and blues music. That’s the type of music that I feel most comfortable playing. Later on, you start trying to play that stuff, and dance at the same time, you know what I mean? After that, you want to play, sing, dance, and do a conga line. The guitar cable can only go so far Carlos, don’t get too excited. Plus, Arturo has to be sitting down for the gigs. We’re thinking of purchasing a giant stroller for his drum set to push him down the conga line and solve this conundrum- get it?

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

G: I see you don’t like my jokes Carlos, but that’s ok. To answer your question: paranoia, fear of death, infatuation. Stuff that I can’t talk about with you Carlos; otherwise you’d think I’m crazy! So singing about it is the way to go.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Cave of Swimmers'?

G: Well Carlos, it’s a womb. It’s inspired by the fictional experiences of Count Almasy.


5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding your line up in the future, or do you chose to remain a duo

A: I’d be down to ask Gorbachov to be the 3rd member but he’d have to wear a wig.
5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding your line up in the future, or do you chose to remain a duo?

G: Honestly, I don’t know, Carlos. Do you want to push Arturo’s drum stroller at the conga line?


6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance? 

A: My favorite was the one were in full drag our albino unicorn, Miguel.
G: I see you’re avoiding my questions, Carlos- sneaky sneaky! As far as good gigs, they’re all good if you feel good, unless I eat greasy food before the gig. Alka Seltzer is great for that, though. Brian Setzer is awesome too. Our male performance is none of your business Carlos, that’s very personal and I don’t know you that well, although you seem like a very likeable person.


7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

A: This summer fo sho.
G: I see you’re avoiding my questions, Carlos- sneaky sneaky! As far as good gigs, they’re all good if you feel good, unless I eat greasy food before the gig. Alka Seltzer is great for that, though. Brian Setzer is awesome too. Our male performance is none of your business Carlos, that’s very personal and I don’t know you that well, although you seem like a very likeable person.


8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your album by fans of metal and underground music? 

A: They love it.

G: we’re very grateful and humbled by this whole experience, Carlos. It feels good to go out and be able to play for people. It makes everything worthwhile when you hear someone say: “hey, I really like your album” or “great set” or “are you an electrician? Your truck and Latino appearance certainly give that impression, mister” and you go “no ma’am, I will get off your lawn immediately, please don’t call the cops or ICE”. It’s amazing.


9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future? 


A: I see us getting real musical.

G: Well I don’t have a time machine, Carlos! But I can assure you; it will involve amazing drumbeats courtesy of the one and only R-2-raw, and some heavy riffing!

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

A: Music from Latin America, Spain, and The Beatles.
G: goddamn Carlos, where the hell have you been in the last 10 minutes?! I told you, I listen to heavy metal, punk rock and blues!

11.What are some of your non-musical interests?

A: Cooking, languages, steam baths and arctic plunges.

G: I’m very fond of playing flamenco guitar and the piano. I guess these things won’t count as non-musical activities, but understand, I don’t know how to do anything else, Carlos. Well, I guess I like to read, too.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

A: Thanks for having us! See ya on tour 
G: well Carlos, it’s been a real pleasure. I’d like to sincerely thank you for your interest and efforts. Don’t take yourself too seriously, don’t be too hard on yourself, you’re a very likeable person Carlos, and one day, you’ll find that special someone. Oh you already did? Well then, why do you lie to me, dammit?! Stop going around being a debbie downer, Carlos! Go tohttp://www.caveofswimmers.com  

-------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment