Monday, August 25, 2014
Lucifer's Fall Interview
1.For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1.Lucifer's Fall was formed in 2013 as a traditional doom/metal solo project. The band consists of myself (Deceiver - Vocals, Guitar & Bass) and Unknown Unnamed (Drums). I wanted to record some music that sounds like it was recorded in the 70's/80's with the only recent influences being bands (mostly Traditional Doom) who think along similar lines. I also wanted to write songs that were more direct and to the point than my other band Rote Mare. As my drumming skills are pretty much non-existant I enlisted the services of Unknown Unnamed and Lucifer's Fall was born.
2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the album and also how does it differ from your previous demo and single?
2. The musical sound of the album as stated before is very much influenced by 70's and 80's metal and doom. Some influences people might be able to pick are Reverend Bizarre, Arkham Witch and Mercyful Fate. Bands like early Savatage and Trouble have always been a big influence on me but I'm not sure if any of that shows through in Lucifer's Fall. The album differs from the demo in that the demo also has The Mother Superior playing guitar and contributing vocals. The demo is also much rawer and less precise. It was basically a rough rehearsal recording with vocal overdubs. (very under rehearsed). In fact the album could have been a bit more rehearsed also....but we're pretty happy with it.
3.Both of the members are also a part of Rote mare, what are some of the things you are able to do with this band that you are not able to do with your other project?
3. The challenge of Lucifer's Fall is to write songs which stay completely loyal to the traditions of 70's/80's doom and heavy metal. Keeping the singing style clean apart from the odd scream here or there was a very important rule to keep. I guess Lucifer's Fall is quite uptempo with much shorter songs when you compare it to Rote Mare. With Rote Mare those self imposed limitations of Lucifer's Fall do not exist. Rote Mare also has a traditional base but has more wide ranging influences.
4.Your lyrics cover a good amount of satanic and occult topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?
4. Satanic and occult topics go very well with this type of dark music. I've always liked writing stories about people succumbing to temptation and greed and selling their soul to the devil. Having said that the lyrics I write are not Satanic. I like to try and write from someone else view. The song Deceiver is written from the devils point of view. How can I tempt this person using their greed to become my slave etc.. The song A Sinner's Fate is written from the point of view of an accused witch. Whether or not they are a witch is irrelevant. It's about the horror of being burnt at the stake. I'm not a religious or spiritual person and don't believe in god or the devil but I guess I've always enjoyed the darkness and imagery of the occult.
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Lucifer's Fall'?
5. At its most basic level I just thought wow that is a really cool name for a band. I guess seeing the amazing work of Gustave Doré and in particular the piece which I've used for the album cover was a big inspiration for the name. The idea for the song Lucifer's Fall came first though. Written from the point of Lucifer and how he might feel after being cast down from heaven. After writing it I was so happy with the song that I thought that would be a great title track and also a great band name.
6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding your line up again in the future or do you chose to remain a duo?
6. I guess expanding the lineup is on the cards if the cd goes well. It may even happen anyway. I'd at least like to get a live lineup going for gigs.
7.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
7. We haven't played any live shows.
8.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
8. Nothing planned yet but as I said above I'd like to get a live lineup going in the future.
9.The new album was released on Rootedoom Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
9. Rotedoom Records is basically my own label formed to release Rote Mare and Lucifer's Fall. We also released Dire Fate (Melbourne traditional doom band) on a split with Rote Mare. As a label we are not looking for other bands to release.
10.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of doom metal?
10. So far from what I've seen the feedback has been great. I've received a number of compliments and a few good reviews and sold more than I expected in the first few weeks of it's release. The support is much appreciated!
11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
11. I'd like to keep true to the basic influences shown on the first album. I want to keep it raw and aggressive and keep away from that overproduced sound that so many modern bands have. Any progression shown will be more to do with trying to improve my performances as a singer and guitarist mainly. The first album was written and recorded very quickly. I don't want to think about the songs too much. I just want to write music with feeling and energy.
12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
12. My biggest influences are 70's rock bands, early 80's metal bands and many recent traditional doom bands. I love Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Pentagram, Angel Witch, Raven, Mercyful Fate, Saint Vitus, Trouble, Cirith Ungol, Reverend Bizarre and The Lamp Of Thoth. There are many others far too numerous to mention. Some recent albums that I am really enjoying are Pilgrim - II Void Worship, Helstar - This Wicked Nest, The Order Of The Solar Temple - ST, Unsilence - A Fire On The Sea, Reclvse (demo) and Eldritch Rites - Night Of The Witchgrinde
13.What are some of your non musical interests?
13. Music is my main non musical interest.... I really enjoy reading. I also like keeping up with what's going on in the world of science. Politics and world affairs interest me but also make me fucking angry....
14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
14. I’d just like to say thanks very much for this interview and also thanks to all the people out there who have supported Lucifer’s Fall by either buying, listening or reviewing the album. Thanks also for some of the kind words people have said about this project. Cheers and DOOM ON!