Saturday, April 4, 2015

Codas Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
I started Codas in Jan 2015.  I was really just using it as outlet for songs that didn’t really fit with my other projects (Spotlights, Sleep Lady).  Once I had a few songs recorded, I figured I would finish it as an EP and that’s when BJ from Crowquill got in touch with me about releasing it.  I think due to the fact that I wasn’t really focusing on the details and just letting the ideas flow, Codas shows a more honest and personalized side of my writing.

2.In June you have a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
Hmm… I have a tough time describing it, but I suppose it falls into the category of Post- something or other.  It has an industrial and influence for sure, and I guess at times could be considered metal but I hear a lot of my 90’s post hardcore influence coming through from bands like Jawbox and Helmet, Shiner, etc.

3.What are some of the themes and images you bring out with your musical sound?
I think that might be a question for the listener!  The only song with a sort of “theme” would be "Follow the blind”, I suppose. Since it has a sample of a sort of anti religious establishment speech in there.  I don’t really write from, or for imagery as much as for the feeling that the music gives me. I tend to write music that makes me want to play music. Don’t know if that makes any sense..

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Codas’?
I have always had a slight obsession with musical symbols and the “Coda”, in composition, stands for the final or separate ending part of a piece of music, like a tag at the end of a song.  I mostly just like how the symbol looks..

5.With this project you record everything by yourself, how would you compare it to working with a full band?
It has it’s positives and negatives.  In a live sense, it’s much harder to recreate the big heavy sound by yourself than with other musicians.  There is A LOT of tap dancing on pedals.. You can also get into your head easily and start second guessing everything without having others to bounce ideas off of.  On the other hand I like the freedom of being able to do whatever I want at my own pace. The initial purpose of the project was to not worry about how “good” it is or if people will like it, or if it fits into any category.  I find it easier to keep that mindset when writing for Codas.  Luckily I play with some great musicians in my other bands so I get a good balance of the two.


6.The new album is coming out on Crowquil Records, are you happy with the support they have given you so far?
BJ (label owner) has been great.  He has been my sounding board for things that I might not feel 100% about.  It’s been a great experience so far and I’m glad we came together on this release.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your solo material by fans of underground music?
I’ll let you know when the EP gets released!

8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part off?
Right now, Spotlights is working on a our first full length record.  We hope to have it out by the end of the summer.  Sleep Lady has been on hiatus for the last year or so but the other half of the band is moving to Chicago and we hope to pick up where we left off by this summer as well.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?
Filthy rich, superstardom!

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
There are a lot of great bands that have influenced me lately.  On the heavy side, bands like Old Man Gloom, Sumac (Aaron Turner is on fire right now..), Melvins, Liturgy, Jesu, Swans, etc..
I’ve also been listening to a lot of Ben Frost.  It kind of drives me insane how good that guy is.  Then there are the mainstays like Fugazi, Helmet, and Fugazi.  Also, I listen to Mew a lot, and The Cure quite a bit, since they are somewhat the core of my musical being.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Eating and sleeping. But mostly eating..

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I’ll save those for the ole deathbed.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment