Sunday, April 26, 2015

Can Of Soul Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

The project was born in 2012.
I had long since developed several ideas, kept them ready to be arranged and recorded, I felt that time was finally come. I didn't want to wait again with the risk of losing the inspiration and the intention of the songs.
I wrote completely free from mind and music compulsion, the songs that MUST sounds different each other ‘cause every one of it keeps a meaning and has a proper feeling. So there are very violent ones, some more introspective, some dramatic and so on.
A few years earlier Silvio Masanotti, that is a well known sessionman and arranger, worked with me on a couple of tracks for another project, and we promised to record something together. We worked in his studio, hope you appreciate the result. The other engine of the project is the drummer Alex Motta, with whom I share different musical situations, the Hard Rock passion and pleasure for experimentation. Then the Doom sound (especially of 70’s) spellbound both of us!

2.Recently you have released an album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the
recording?

Yes of course, the title is “Hearreality”.
The purpose of music content has no predictable lines, totally free to explain different shades and styles.
The sound environment was born in a dramatic bunch of doomin' feelings, but there's also hope at the end.
The paranormal, the Steampunk and the grotesque, intrigue me, that's why I decided to create characters who act in the songs, each of them with different features, that we perceive in the various sounds that characterize the songs. So you can appreciate all my musical influences: Doom, Thrash, Hardrock, Folk, Metal, Electronic, Industrial, and the challenge it’s been to set all of them into the album line of continuity.
To achieve the result I expected, we put in the songs many instruments: cellos, fiddles, sax, synth, percussions, and electric bass and guitars of course.

3.The lyrics on the album have a concept to them, can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical content?

We compared with the label several times, and we decided to communicate that it was a concept Sci-Fi; the short summary: A world dying because of the solar radiation hosts a civilization that is looking for new habitable planets to preserve its species. Once identified a "Land", very different compared to our continuum, the aliens get ready for the invasion by extracting and preserving the "souls" from the bodies to accomplish the space leap without damage. On this assaulted planet there are also mystical entities with supernatural powers who will fight alongside the humans to fend off the invaders whose commanders, once defeated, will be imprisoned.
This is only a summary of a few lines, the storyboard is fairly complex and unfolds in different folders.
I wrote the lyrics with the idea that they might not necessarily be read consecutively following the plot indicated. The main challenge: to make enjoyable songs even without being aware of the concept, also listening to them independently. The lyrics are set to be read consecutively following the plot indicated, I tied them in the hard but I also build them to have a own development and meaning.
Each lyric describes the main acting character actions, is intended as the soundtrack of the events discussed in the lyrics.
Every song will have a customized cover, how you can see some have already been published in the web with the song samples, the key images are those where it will start to develop concept and characters.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Can Of Soul"

Well "Hearreality" is basically a Sci-Fi soundtrack.
I am a Sci-Fi fan, so I wanted to develop the themes that were to be represented by an element that did stand out  immediately the space-technologic-esoteric connotation, "Can" of "Soul" is a moniker that binds perfectly to what I intended to discuss into songs.
The name of a project, in my opinion, should always be evocative and interesting. "Can of Soul", I loved it, It was part of the two or three solutions that would allow me to plan and generate not only music but also multimedia programs.
The project was carried out by the possibility of a media evolution, where every song is intended as the soundtrack of the events treated and can then evolve in new directions.


5.While this is a solo project you do have some other musicians on the album, can you tell us a little bit more about them and what there parts where on the album?

Well, Silvio is an amazing guitarist and arranger, he works with several mainstream Italian Rock/Pop artists, and he’s addicted to Rock and Prog Rock. He has huge and long standing experience, so he’s the guitarist that you can listen in all the album songs, different styles, different sounds, but always awesome in my opinion.
Alex Motta is a friend and a musical partner, we share several hardrock projects. He’s a professional drummer, he plays at the top different styles, he hasn't musical preconceptions and I really appreciate that. He played drums and percussions in all the tracks.
Bass guitar players choice was dictated by the friendship that binds us but even because each one of them express different influences with different techniques than the others.
Mik Villa from Why Out, Alessandro “Ajeje” Petrone (that is also the graphic mastermind that designed with me the album cover and booklet layouts), Mauro “Spookie” Bonfanti from Hand of Doom Milan. I choosed the songs that in my mind fit together with their characteristics and I proposed to them. I guess I was right, we made it with energy, joy and satisfaction.
The other guests are important professionals in the national music scene: Daniele Comoglio, Stefano Cabrera, Riccardo Corso, Matteo Trotta, I refer you to their web pages in order to understand their professional skills and to appreciate their curriculum. All of them played in the past or cooperated with Silvio or with me.
Daniele is “The Sax” behind “Mystic”, Stefano and Matteo are the strings instruments in “My Queen”, and Riccardo gave me an amazing guitar solo in “Dealing”!

6.Is there any plans to make this a live band in the future?

It is a project that can be performed live, we are setting the showcase gigs. Many fans and several people have asked us to carry out the live, it is to meet the basic commitments of the major musicians and we're working on.
The primary intent, at this time is to make the video for the first single, I am currently evaluating different solutions.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal and rock?

It’s been very interesting and basically worldwide we’ve received good reviews from South America, USA and Europe, the guys, and I in particular, are very proud of the positive consensus. Then we hope that it’ll grow more every day.


8.Are you currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?

Yes of course, but just for fun. I’m now focused on Can of Soul project, and it takes the most of my free time.


9.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

I hope to reach the target of making realize the full project with videos and some other surprises that we mean to realize. I hope that the interest around the project will be so big to allow me to complete it, to a full multimedia level.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you
listening to nowadays?

Black Sabbath without doubt. I am one of those who think that without them the Metal would never be born. Basically I love anything produced the 70s, Bowie, psychedelic culture...  In Hardrock first of all Deep Purple and a little 'less Led Zeppelin. I'm living between two different personalities related to heavy music. The Hardrock one: ACDC / Kiss / B. Idol / Rainbow / A. Cooper... And the heavier one, represented by Doom and Thrash bands of the 80s and 90s.
The singers that I love the most are those that express personality, without any genre bias, from B. Idol to RJ Dio, from John Waite to Chuck Billy, from Huey Lewis to Geddy Lee or Danzig.
I still listening the bands from 70’s, 80’s and something from 90’s, I’m not so excited from current scene.
Nowadays 2000’s bands, in the underground something from: Furyon, The Music (UK), Black Stone Cherry , Havok and Rev Theory, Filter (USA), Airbourne; in mainstream a bit (but really just a bit) of: Nickelback (Chad Kroeger, in my opinion, one of the best voices of 2000’s), Foo Fighters, Disturbed, Mudvayne, SIxx A.M., Wolfmother. I also love two recent albums from a young act: “The Devil You Know” and “13”!!! J

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Well, I always try to train my body and stay fit. I read a lot of books, when I find time of course! As I told before I love Sci-Fi, then action and thriller movies.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks so much for your work, I really appreciate it!
I hope I have intrigued your readers.
Support “Can of Soul”, buy “Hearreality”, visit and comment our FB page!
You're great!
www.facebook.com/canofsoul
www.facebook.com/tomas.tomrocker
ROCKAROLLA!
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment