Tuesday, February 4, 2014
Zed Yago Interview
Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Jimmy Durand: We’re in the Studio, recording a new CD.
• For those that are not up to date with the newer material pass the 80's, can you tell us a little bit more about your current direction and also how does it differ from the stuff that was released back then?
Jimmy Durand: It’s been nearly 30 years since the inception of ZED YAGO, so of course we’ve evolved musically. We’re STILL not interested in following any trends, and we still love the HEAVY BEATS. So. you won’t be hearing any Popsongs from us. You WILL have your asses rocked. That’s a promise.
• It has been 4 years since the last album, can you update us on what has been going on during that time?
Jimmy Durand: Four years in a sentence? Easy answer: LOTS of stuff has been going on. We’re collecting musical ideas, there’s a huge pile of stuff to work on, and we’re working our way through it.
• The band has always had fantasy lyrics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?
Jimmy Durand: Well, there are enough Lovesongs and ‘We Love Metal’ songs, and they speak for themselves; we would rather write lyrics that explore other topics, ZED YAGO topics…. so wait and see what comes out.
• The band was broken up for a few years, what was the decision behind reforming with a new line up?
Jimmy Durand: Our original singer decided at the time to work on solo material. This left a hole for awhile - one that we’ve more than filled with Yvonne. We’re back.
• Germany has always had very well known bands and I always felt you where underrated in that scene, what do you think was the cause of the band not getting as big as some of the other well known bands from that country?
Jimmy Durand: Thanks for the kind words. There are always different reasons for something breaking big or not; these involve being in the right place at the right time, having the right music for the right time, and a lot of luck. One factor is having good management and promotion. We’re working on that…
• What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Jimmy Durand: Well, they’ve ALL been good. We love to play!
• Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
Jimmy Durand: First we’ll finish the new record, and then think about touring.
• I know that the band describes themselves as 'dramatic metal' can you tell us a little bit more about it?
Jimmy Durand: ZED YAGO invented Dramatic Metal in the 80’s…. bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation have continued in this style. As will we.
• On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer material by fans of metal?
Jimmy Durand: Feedback? Great. We write our music for ourselves, though, and hope that if WE like it, so will other people, and we’re our own toughest critics.
• DO you feel that you have had a huge influence on the younger generation of metal bands that have popped up over the years?
Jimmy Durand: Good question, but who knows? Every Generation has their own influences. If we’ve influenced anyone positively, fine…
12. Are any of the band members involved with any other musical projects these days?
Jimmy Durand: Our keyboard player Tony Carey is busy with Planet P Project, as always - we help and support him with his PPP records.
• When can we expect a new album and also what direction will it be heading into music wise?
Jimmy Durand: It will be heavy hard rock stuff with emotions and passions We hope you will like it.
• What are some bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Jimmy Durand: We love all kinds of music - as long as it’s good. You’ve heard this before, and it’s true - there are 2 kinds of music: Good and Boring. What category music is placed in doesn’t matter very much.
• Do you have any non musical interests?
Jimmy Durand: Furthermore, make good and unique music and feel comfortable with the result.
• Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Jimmy Durand: Thanks for your interest in ZED YAGO. Look us up on Facebook or our website… „We play our music until we die“