Saturday, January 26, 2013

Acid Reign Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band members these days?
 Sure, Ramsey is a postman, Mac works in a Hospital, Kev works on Bullet For My Valentine's crew, I do stand up comedy Adam lives on a boat and suffers from tinnitus.
2. How would you describe your musical sound back in the day?
Somewhere between Metallica and Anthrax, I'm always uncomfortable answering questions like that as I think those who make the music are too close to it to be able to be truly objective. I guess that's how I'd like it to sound but I'm sure there'll be people reading this going “they sound nothing like that!”. 
3. What where some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explored with the music?
Tons, I mean read the lyric sheets! Everything from fantasy (on Moshkinstein), to Nuclear testing, teenage suicide, terrorism. No real consistent themes but I always tried to write about real issues, things that were important to me. 
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
None. Ian our bass player came into practise one day and suggested it, he had also drawn an early version of the logo and we all said, yep that's cool we're now called Acid Reign. We'd had loads of names up to that point. 
5. What where some of the best shows that the band has played and how would you describe your stage performance?
Our gigs were always manic, fun, stupid and intense. Check out the Humanoia video on youtube. We loved stage diving and encouraged it as much a possible. We had PA stack divers and all sorts, I managed a balcony dive at our last show at the Marquee. My favourite shows were in Dublin, when the crowd are stage diving to Abba before you even come on you know it's going to be crazy.
6. What was the cause of the break up?
The death of thrash. We spilt up, the following week Sabbat split up and the week after that Onslaught. 
7. Do you see the band ever getting back together?
If you'd asked me that 6 months ago I would have said no way. Now I'll just say never say never....
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback to the music by fans of thrash metal?
Worldwide it's got stronger over the years. With the internet people can access stuff at the click of a mouse and that has helped a broader appreciation of our music. It does my head in when I see some comments on youtube where people are 15 years old saying they love this old skool thrash band Acid Reign, or some metal heads in Mexico begging us to reform, it's Very cool. 
9. What is going on these days with your comedy career and musical projects?
Comedy is all about constantly gigging. I'm always playing shows all year round in the UK. No music though. I did a follow up to Motherly Love with an Italian band called Satanica but that was just a one off. 
10. What where some bands or musical styles that influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
That would be Black Sabbath and any thrash band that was around, from Metallica to Voivod. As a lyric writer and frontman I loved Fish from Marillion. The music I listen to now is still the same, thrash and new stuff like Mastodon, Rammstein, Slipknot anything good and heavy. 
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Well obviously comedy takes up most of my time, I enjoy writing as well. I'm working on a comedy/horror screenplay and developing a documentary about world war two elite pilots who flew top secret missions that are still unknown. My uncle was one of these pilots so I'm trying to get his story out there. 
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
If you really like something you've download for free, buy a download or buy the CD as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment