1. Since the new album release we have been busy with promoting it and finding people who want to help us with that hard work. We have been sending records all over the planet for reviews in magazines, interviews in radio channels and much more. No one is going to knock on our door, hard work always pays of in the end. It’s a long way to the top if you wanna rock´n roll.
2.In February you had released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
1. This album is much harder and more raw than we’ve sounded in the past, the lyrics are darker and now we know how we want to sound. When we started the band back in 2008 it was just for fun and we were playing more traditional medieval music mixed with rock. Some of us wanted to sound like Eluveitie and others didn’t like metal at all. But with new band members we found our unique sound and we are very pleased with the result of our new album.
3.This is the first album to be released in 4 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?
1. Band members came and left over the years, we did not have the time for writing new songs and recording new albums and we did not know in which direction the band was heading. It was very hard for the band but for the better. Now we are better than ever before !
4.The new recording is a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrics?
1. It’s a true story about the life of musicians in the medieval ages. The church really hated them and called them fools, for playing and spreading the devils music and people swallowed all their lies. The words from priests was the law and the voice of god. People wanted music as much as we do today but back then it was a sin to get drunk, dance and making love to the melody of a bagpipe and the beat of a drum. Our poor fool in the lyrics are almost schizophrenic and having problems knowing who he really is. Is he a demon, a sinner or just a man ? Am I going to hell for my sins or is heaven and hell just a big fuckin lie? Who are you to teach right or wrong? The story tells that he sells his soul to the devil just to save his ass from the priests that destroys his instuments, tortures him and cuts of his fingers and tounge.
The devil helps him and in exchance the fool becomes the devils soul collector for all eternity. He is also taking a brutal revenge on those who almost killed him and he’s dancing on their graves.
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Black Magic Fools'?
1. The inspiration is in the stories above. Black magic fools = fools who are playing the devils music and collect souls. Do you believe it’s true or is it just a ghost story?!
6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
1. Our best gigs so far must be the big Swedish festival Metaltown in Gothenburg 2013 and Hoernerfest outside Hamburg 2012 and 2015. If you go to a Black Magic Fools concert you are going to get hit by a great live performance with real instruments, not a fake show with prerecorded music. We want our crowd to feel all the emotions in our music like fear, angst, sympathy, anger, all with a sense of dark humour. Tears and laugh at the same time.
7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
1. We want to do a tour with this album this year and/or the next and we are looking for agencies all over the world who can help us with that. Maybe as a support for bigger bands etc.
8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
1. We are unsigned at the moment. We have not sent any records to labels and no label has contacted us yet. I guess we want to do things our own way and we want to have full control over our own music. We don’t want to sign with a label that in the end just steals all the revenues. But of course if the right label gives us a great deal we can’t resist, we may consider it.
9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of folk metal?
1. The response on our new album has been very good. Fans of folkmetal all over the world tells us that we are different and unique. We don’t sound like any other band in the genre. We play an odd style of folkmetal that people either love or hate.
10.Are any of the other band members involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
We are all giving the band everything we got, so there are no time for other music projects outside the band for the moment. Black Magic Fools are also playing acoustic gigs at medieval festivals in the summer so that takes a lot of time as well.
11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
1. We believe that we found our unique style and sound with this album and that we will continue on this track on the next album. We also hope that all members stay in the band and continues to create great music together. Maybe there will be another concept album, maybe harder, maybe more melodic. Just wait and see!
12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
1. We have many different influences in the band. Everything from folk music groups like Garmarna to brutal Meshuggah. Other influences are Eluveitie, Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, System of a Down and many other bands. When we started the band we wanted to sound like Eluveitie or In Extremo but we created something else along the way.
13.What are some of your non musical interests?
1. We are all working everyday of the week so there is little time left for other interests. Working out in the gym, trying to get in shape for the gigs or just hang out and drink beer in a local rock bar in Gothenburg. We are spending time with our familys and friends as much as possible. Some of us has got kids. Our drummer is the one making all our artwork, website creation, picture editing, video editing and handling our entire company. It's awesome that he has these skills instead of having to be dependant on a record label doing everything for us.
14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
1. Well we hope the readers of this interview like our new album and we really hope to play on a stage in your city or village very soon! Until then help us to spread the new album like the plague! Thanks! Cheers!