Monday, December 22, 2014

Secret Rule Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Andy: The band was created in January 2014, the idea was to create something completely new from a musical point of view. We have known each other for many years. I worked together with Angela about ten years ago in a prog/celtic project and I've played covers with Michele for years besides being both part of the first lineup of Martiria. Ruben has joined us just recently, but we immediately “clicked” and it's like if we had played together for years.

2.You have an album coming out in February, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
Michele: Our sound wants to be a mix between the metal strength and melodic beauty. We think it's a winning combination.
Andy: ...as Michele says, we wanted to create a mix between melody and power. We resent of a very wide spread of influences, From Power to Goth, from Industrial to Pop ...not without some traces of Prog. Let's say we like to experiment with no limits.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Angela: Sometimes the lyrics come from my personal consideration about my vision of society and my way to interact with it, other times I talk about real people's stories, stories I collect around and make an impression on me, or even from dreams or vision. I dream a lot, and all my dreams are very vivid. All together, I believe my lyrics all mainly centered on sensations. I don't tell “stories”, I try to transmit sensations in which everyone can find a reflection of his own experience.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Secret Rule'?
Angela: It has been a difficult choice. The name you wear is very important, you will have to deal with it forever, so you must like it. Everyone must like it. We couldn't decide but then, working on the album, it just popped up alone. We believe the must be a secret rule to harmonize the secret mechanism of live and world, and that this rule is a secret known just by some selected people...

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
Andy: The band line up has been defined very recently, for the moment we have played mainly in our city's clubs (living in Rome, anyway, means being part of a pretty lively and important musical scene). Our live performances are a high concentrate of energy, oniric atmospheres and pure fun.

6. Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?
Michele: Yeah, of course! Working together with Rocksector we are planning a tour and partecipation to several festivals... all this after the official release of the CD, of course!

7.The new album is coming out on Rocksector Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Andy: Rocksector is a very professional label, as you surely know, but, mainly, it is formed by people who believe in what they do and invest all their time, resources and energy into the musicthey produce with endless enthusiasm. Moreover both Mark and his coworkers are absolutely reliable and trustworthy people, very very rare qualities nowadays. We couldn't be more lucky.
Angela: I totally agree with Andy. After so many sacrifices and unfortunate contacts and false steps, I've found the perfect lineup, a team of trustworthy and professional collaborators and supporters, and a professional and enthusiastic label. What else could I ask for?

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of metal, goth and rock?
Michele: The different souls of our music will surely satisfy both goth and rock fans, but also meet the taste of those who look for complex and charming melodies.
Angela: Actually, we've received good feedback also from people who had nothing to do with metal!
Andy: Yeah, as Michele has said, our music appeals to a wide range of listeners, and this is one of the reasons why it is so difficult to compare us with a specific band. Maybe this is exactly our “secret recipe”!(Ahahahahahah!)

9.Are any of the band members also involved with any other musical projects or bands or these days?
Andy: Yeah, I think we all have parallel projects, but we all are also determined to promote as much as possible SECRET RULE. This is, definitely, our MAIN project right now.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
Andy: On wide stages in front of thousands of screaming supporters! (ahahahahah!!). Seriously, how can we know? What we know is that we will continue forever to play only the music we feel inside. Only the music that lives inside our hearts.
Angela: Surely we're determined to keep on dreaming and to play always at the top of our possibility.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Andy: Mah, hard to say... we all have different musical stories and refer to different influences. Michele and I (being the older members) surely have our roots deeply digging into Classic Metal, while Angela and Ruben have a more “modern” background. We like to listen to bands like Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Within Temptation but also Anathema, but we don't mind to listen also to harder sounds, and I'm talking about bands like Arch Enemy or Rammstein.
Angela: Well, okay I'll say it... in my home we used to listen to bands like Pooh or Patty Pravo (Ahahahaha). Till I was 21, I mainly listened to Italian “light” music (as we call “pop music” here). I adored Laura Pausini, Giorgia, Elisa... great voices I used as models when it was my turn to learn how to sing. Then when I was 22 I went to live alone in Rome, the great city put me in contact with rock and metal and I fell in love. I'm never tired to listen to Anouk, Anathema, Anneke Van
Giersbergen, Lacuna Coil, Sigur Ros and many more. And I collect all their Cds (only original editions!).

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
Andy: Soccer! And all kinda of sports, actually.
Angela: Well, I've a weird relationship with sport. Actually I'm quite lazy (Ahahahah)! But I collect comics, love cartoons and movies. I like sci-fi and fantasy and role play games. I've a whole army of dark-elves warhammer miniatures I painted myself!
All my interested involve more imagination than body... (Ahahahah)

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Andy: First of all, thanks for this space and then we'd like to invite all the readers to listen to our new single, waiting for the official release of the album in the 16th of February. Michele: I hope you enjoy the album... and we're waiting to see as many of you as possible during the tour!!!
Angela: I agree with Andy and Michele, thanks for the space you dedicated to us and let's hope many people will come to our live gigs and many more will listen to our CD that, believe me, will be a true surprise. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment