Sunday, December 28, 2014

Midnight Bullet Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?

After the production of the new album we've been rehearsing the songs and building up the set list for the gigs. However it's been quite calm and loose schedule because we also want to enjoy "the fruits" of our labor. It has been very busy autumn and our album's production was finnished at the end of November so it's nice that the album is coming out next year and we can actually take a little breath for awhile.

2.In 2015 you have a new album coming out, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the album you had released in 2012?

It's very important to us that the sound is clear but also it has to knock you out at the same time. We play some what heavy music but I consider our selves more as a rock band. So to me there is a certain guitar wall that brings the heaviness together but also the riffs are very important. Juuso Turkki did the mixing of our second album and Oskari Hakala-Rahko did the first one. The sound of the album is pretty much how those guys wanted to hear it at the time and I was 100 % confident that they will do a great work, and they did. When we were mixing the album, I was trying to give some advices like what I wanted to hear more. I tried to see the big picture and let the guys do what they know the best. We also tried to reach some live vibe on the second album.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?

There are a lot of stories behind the lyrics and mainly all the subjects comes from my (Tuomas) own life. Lose My Face album has a theme which is a fear of making yourself a total fool. It all started by coincidence when I met some people who I know. That little chat made me to think about how some people just takes themselves a bit too seriously. Sometimes it's very good if you can laugh at yourself and you don't have to act anything, you can be yourself. I've always wanted to reach my dreams and at least I don't want to think later that I couldn't have done something just because I didn't want to lose my face. There are also some phrases about right or wrong and justice, like we had on the first record too.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Midnight Bullet'?

There isn't actually any big meaning behind the band's name. I was just collecting some names and words that I wrote down on the paper and eventually just picked one that I wanted to be the band's name. There is something that makes it to sound like rock band's name, so that was fine to me.

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Midnight Bullet plays music which has a lot of energy and maybe a bit of aggression. So when we're playing on the stage the performance needs to be eneregetic and we also try to connect with the people on the audience. Usually music and live gigs are healthy way to loose your bad emotions and there's nothing more greater way to make the bad feelings go away than screaming in the live gigs. Sometimes music has helped us through the rough times and it's really great if our music can do the same to someone else. It's really hard to say any particular show that has been over the top. We try to play the best show we can everytime no matter how many people has showed up.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?

Yes we are planning to play some shows after the release. We all have day jobs so it sets some challenges. We love to play live shows but after all the actuall playing is a very small part of the day. We also do all the bookings by ourself so there is a lot of work to be done. Hopefully people get interested in the band when the new album is coming out and maybe that will help to get some gigs too.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of heavy metal?

The feedback has been very good so far especially with the new album. Faraday Cage was kind of the album that separated people from who liked it to people who didn't. I think that was very positive reaction because it showed that Faraday Cage wasn't just ok album and meaningless. You either liked it or you didn't. You need to get inside when you're listening to Faraday Cage because there are so many things happening. There are a lots of riffs and a lots of different parts in the songs so you really have to concentrate when listening. Lose My Face has more melodic stuff going on and songs are maybe little more simpler as far as riffs are considered. I have to say that I was really happy with both of the albums because we didn't need to push them at any direction. It was just so unpressured process and the albums did turn out to be great because of that.

8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part off?

Yes we have a couple of other projects going on and Street Revolver is most active one right now besides Midnight Bullet. Like I said that we love to play all kind of music and it's great that we have so many ways (and bands) where we can express ourselves.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

We just want to write as good music as we can. It's really hard to set any goals about where we should go. I think we have some unique touch on the songs and the songs turns out to sound like us no matter what. I still believe in albums and not just "the greatest hits". I think Lose My Face turned out to be such a great album because I was inspired after writing another good song, so the album itself kind of guided me through the journey. One major thing that happened with Lose My Face was that Lauri started to write riffs too. It opened my eyes and gave me so many fresh ideas about song writing. The most important thing is that the songs means something to us and then maybe (and hopefully) they can help someone else.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

We like to listen to all kind of music and bands. There are so many influences on the Lose My Face even. Some ideas and influences you can't probably even pick but as a song writer you need to be inspired about something and all those little things makes the song be what it is. The very first album that opened my eyes was Offspring's Smash album. I never knew that I could feel something like that via music when I heard it. So bands like Offspring, Metallica, Motörhead, Devin Townsend, Pantera, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilipeppers, Misfits etc. have been a great influence on our music.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

We like to do some sports. Some of us go to gym to lift weights, someone goes out jogging but sometimes we just like to relax and watch movies on the couch. I (Tuomas) like to cook very much and try different foods.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Well thank you very much for reading this! Our album titled Lose My Face is coming out on January 16th 2015. Hopefully you like it as much as we do and maybe it can help you through rough times. Believe in yourself and don't be affraid of trying to make your dreams come true. Spread the word, please. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment