Friday, March 29, 2013

The Gates Of Slumber Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Currently we are working on songs and arrangements for our next record. Other than that watching 
the world go by, not much.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new ep and it how it differs from previous 

releases?
I don't know man. It's really just kind of what we've always done. I guess people should pick up a copy 
then go buy all our other releases (a few shirts and what not as well) and make up their own minds 
(ahem www.slumberingsouls.com)

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?

Alienation and disillusion. Ambivalence. Addiction. Fear and loathing.

4. I know that the band has written some songs on Swords And Sorcery, can you tell us more about 

your interest in this topic?
Jason and I both grew up with comics and fantasy/horror movies and novels.  And for a long time we 
did songs based on that stuff.  The early days of the band had lyrics that were full of allegorical 
passages. Songs like The Judge and Jury were basically about the judicial system. How fucked it is 
that one person sits in judgement over another. Or the concept of a jury of your "peers". We went full 
on into the Conan stuff on Suffer no Guilt. Which, lyrically is the best of out fantasy stuff. And we kind 
of just kept it rolling for a few records. But it wore thin really quick, and we were starting to get 
labeled as a band that just did that kind of stuff. And we didn't want that. Plus style wise we were 
becoming more a straight metal band. And personally I didn't want that. I started doing this band 
because I wanted to play doom metal. So after the Hymns record was gone and the band had gone 
through some changes it was the chance to get back to center.

5. According to the Metal Archives page, the band was named after a sound from Cianide, what was it 

that interested you about this song in order to name the band after that?
Well, what it was is I had written about 5 or 6 songs. And one stoney night I was thinking that I 
needed to name this band, of which I was the solitary member. So after going through all the 
possibilities. And doodling a ton of logos. I decided on The Gates of Slumber. Really, I wish it was a 
deeper story.

6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your 

stage performance?
Highlights were both of our Doom Shall Rise appearances and Roadburn fest. I don't know how to 
describe our stage show. I mean it's three guys and we are all kind of big. Not a lot of running around. 
I guess not unlike Motörhead. Loud and we don't move a lot.

7. Do you have any touring plans for the future?

You'll have to wait and see.

8. Recently The Abyss Records, re-issued your 2004 album, what are you thoughts on the final 

product?
I'm really glad it's back in print. It was one of the best moments of my life having that come out. 

9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of doom metal?

People seem to like it a lot. The return to form was very well received. 

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

Polka maybe, I don't know. Maybe Outlaw Country.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are 

you listening to nowadays?
Black Sabbath.

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Macramé. Tuvan throat singing. Animal Husbandry. Calling off work because of phony illnesses.

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Go to www.slumberingsouls.com and buy a bunch of shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment