1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
We just did our new CD/LP “ICONIC NIGHTMARE” on Southern Lord Records. It came out on January 23rd. We also have a 7-inch that will be coming out on Profane Existence in a week. We just got back from a tour with Krang, where we hit up the Midwest, played a few new cities in the South, and played Rise Fest in New Orleans.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
It’s way more metal. We were always heavy and down-tuned but now we finally got the recording we wanted thanks to Adam Tucker at Signaturetone Recording. We are also a six-piece now so there is more going on now with three guitarists.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
The topics actually range from personal experiences to political ideology in theory form versus how they really play out once applied in reality. For example the song “No Sanctuary No Salvation” is about my step-grandfather’s life-long savings being taken away by the state as soon as he became very ill. Another song, Iconic Nightmare, is about how 110 million people were murdered for ideas that sounded great on paper but were always basterdized by certain human’s personal agendas.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
The history of humanity is an ebb and flow of war and peace, yet even during times of peace you cannot simply wipe away the scars of war.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far?
Best show was probably Apocalypticrust Fest in 2007 in Chicago is still my favorite but I’m sure all the members have different shows they liked the best. Or the Long Beach warehouse with Hellshock and a bunch of other bad ass bands. We also played Murder fest in LA with EYE HATE GOD and I’ve got to say it was fuckin bad ass.
6. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Yeah, we will be touring with Raw Power in late April/ early may in the USA. There will be more tours down the road.
7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of crust and d-beat?
I would say far more positive than negative. We’ve played 13 countries and have had a ton of fun everywhere that we’ve gone. I get a lot of questions regarding our lyrics and song subjects and most people really seem to enjoy how we sound. Here’s an older video on youtube that our friend (Justin) made called “Aftermath of a Severed World” if would like to see what our live shows are like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zmeM93QYPo
8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Well we all are in different bands in addition to this one. RYAN (aka guinea pig champion ) and I are also in the PARISH , Toban is also in CHOOSE YOUR POISON. HART, ELA and myself are in another band called DRESDEN. And DEREK plays in another tech death metal band called ATREUS.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Epic crust with a huge metallic edge .
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
State of Fear, Wolfbrigade, and metal definitely had some influence. Some of our band members are really into stoner/psychedelic metal lately. Everyone in the band is pretty eclectic and listens to all different genres of music.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests? Studying history, learning about different cultures, saying annoying things to people (thanks to me having Tourette’s).
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks a ton for the interview! Our new cd and lp is out on Southern Lord Records. We also have a 7-inch that just came out on Profane Existence. See you on the road!
Post a Comment