Friday, September 8, 2017

Spirit Adrift Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording of the new album?

We've been gearing up for our album release shows in October, as well as discussing our plans for next year. We've got some cool stuff in the works for 2018. Some of it is confirmed, some of it is being discussed, all of it will help take the band to another level.

2.In October you have a new album coming out how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

With Curse of Conception, the goal was to make a timeless sounding heavy metal album that cannot be denied. For inspiration, I looked to the revered classics, as well as some of my favorite bands from Arkansas, which is where I cut my teeth playing music. How is this album better than previous material? It's better. This is the best album I've ever written, by far.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music?

Life and death, and the spectrum of emotions and experiences involved.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Spirit Adrift'?

I wanted a band name with no more than two or three words. That combination of words wasn't taken, and it fit the vibe of the music I was writing. The band name is open to interpretation, same as the lyrics.

5.On the albums you record everything by yourself, do you feel this gives you more room to be creative with your musical sound?

On previous albums, I did everything myself. But I want to be clear, Curse of Conception was a group effort. Everybody, including Sanford Parker, brought a lot to the table. I didn't ever really intend for Spirit Adrift to be a one-man project, that was just the simplest way to achieve my initial goals. I'm probably going to continue to write the music and lyrics, but this is a legitimate band and all the other guys have elevated Spirit Adrift to a level I couldn't have reached on my own.

6.What are some of the best shows that you have played with the live band so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

I set zero expectations on anything Spirit Adrift does, other than making the best music we can. So having no expectations, every show has been better than I expected. We've only played a few shows at this point and they've been with some of my favorite bands, so that's a good situation to be in. There's not really anything fancy going on with our stage performance. We focus on playing the songs right, and from the heart. I've been watching a lot of old Metallica, Judas Priest, and Pantera live videos lately, which are inspiring. But we're definitely doing our own thing.

7.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?

Yes. October 7 in Arizona we're playing with Atriarch, Take Over And Destroy, and Divine Hammer. October 14 in Denver, we're playing with Khemmis and Abrams. Then 2018 there's going to be a lot of big stuff happening. Some of that will be announced soon. People paying attention can figure some of it out.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of doom metal?

The response to Spirit Adrift has been super positive from the beginning. Of course there will be haters no matter what you do, but I haven't seen much legitimate criticism from anyone who knows shit about music, so it doesn't bother me.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

Hopefully I continue to learn and improve every day until I'm dead.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

As I mentioned above, the biggest influence for Curse of Conception is the "old guard". Metallica, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Trouble, Pentagram, Dio, stuff like that. Also the Arkansas stuff, mainly Rwake and Deadbird. I listen to a lot of Tangerine Dream as well, but that influence might not ever actually show up in Spirit Adrift. Or maybe we'll bust some synths and sequencers out on the next album, who knows.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

Being a good husband, hanging out with my dog, MMA and other combat sports, psychology, horror movies, all kinds of stuff. Those are the constants. But I'm pretty obsessive so I'll get stuck on certain things. Not matter what, I'm almost always doing something relating to music.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview, and thank you to everyone who has supported Spirit Adrift. If you download our album for free when it comes out that's fine, but if you like it enough not to delete it, buy a copy. We worked hard on it. See you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment