Monday, September 16, 2013

Mark Deutrom Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the music project these days?

The update is : The album is out today for downloading and there will be a couple of vinyl packages next year.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous albums you have been a part off?

This is more lush, orchestrated and organic than some of the previous releases. It's heavier in a psychic and sonic sense, and also plays with space more.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the newer music explores?

Everything from surveillance to pantheism to Dutch 15th Century painting to cardiac pathology. It's a veritable Las Vegas buffet of the arcane knowledge that rattles around in my head making connections that are even mysterious to myself.

4. You worked solo on the new album, how would you compare it to working with other bands?

I'm probably more demanding and less forgiving of myself that I would be with other bands. I miss some of the camaraderie that goes with that type of working situation, but working with just one or two other people allows for intense focus and maximum results.
There is also less beer and smoking.

5. What are some of the best shows you have perfromed in your career and how would you describe your stage performance?

Some of the shows I did with the Melvins in the 90's were strange but memorable : with Kiss at the Superdome, with Rush at the Cow Palace, and Nine Inch Nails in Dallas. My best playing has always been on guitar, and not many people have actually seen that since most of my live exposure was playing bass. Some early Clown Alley shows were cool with Suicidal Tendencies, and Corrosion of Conformity.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the new album?

No band currently, so no plans for that at the present time.

7.The new album was self released, do you feel it added more to the creativity of the music?

If it was on a label it would be exactly the same. It would be great to have a label just so
I could concentrate on music only, but that didn't happen this time.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the new album by fans of music?

Just came out today, so I'll have to wait for the surprise and delight the planet has in store for me.

9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

Horns. There's going to be a lot of horns. With drums. And a choir.

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

There was some minimalist concepts that were interesting me when I was putting some of the album together. I happened to be going through a phase of listening to some ECM stuff from the 80's, as well as some recordings of French and Spanish baroque music. The use of space in that music reflects a quieter time.
Lately I've been listening to Wagner quite a bit, specifically Tristan and Isolde.
The golden oldies section in itunes radio has some excellent lounge and crooner stations.
It's inspiring to listen to real singers, real players, and really good song writing. There's been
some reissues of Nat King Cole that are jaw dropping.

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Photography. Cooking. Reading. Traveling. Camping.
Shooting. I need to do more of that.
I have a series of short films called Riffology that I make with my wife, who is an animator.
Check my youtube channel for those.

12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

The further you go, the less you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment