We play pirate-rock, a mixture of various styles including folk, rock and some slight metal influences. Besides a classic rock lineup we have two pirate wenches on board who play accordion and violin. The german lyrics, which are sung in a clear voice, are about the ups and downs of a pirates life and the love to the ocean.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Elmsfeuer has a very unique sound and especially catchy tunes that always ignite a fire in the audience. We mix classical parts of accordion and violin with our modern rock lineup to create this special sound of ours.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
The lyrics are mostly about the life of pirates and rum-drenched parties. But we’ve also got sad songs that tell stories about the loneliness of the sea with a lot of metaphorical words and other songs with ambiguous lyrics.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Elmsfeuer (St. Elmo’s Fire) is a natural phenomenon, which mainly appears during a thunderstorm where little thunderbolts emerge at the top of the mast. We chose this name because it’s a symbol for instant energy and mystical fascination just like our music.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Beneath a lot of gigs we played the last year one of our highlights was our CD-release-show in Hamburg where a lot of people gathered to celebrate this milestone with us. It completely blew our minds how many folks came just to party with us while listening to our music. Another great show was the newcomer-event at the Festival Mediaval in Selb, where we won the golden dwarf for the best medieval-rock-newcomerband.
Once we enter the stage, we completely forget everything around us so we can focus on our music and making party with the crowd.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
We’ve got a lot of upcoming shows the next time, for example the Hörnerfest, Festival Mediaval, the special pirates show “Pirates – eine abenteuerliche Zeitreise” as well as various MPS festivals. Of course we also play smaller club gigs like Taverna Cerritus in Hamburg, where we’ve already played several times.
7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
We’ve released our album “Schatzsuche” via Totentanz Records with our distribution partner Al!ve.
8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?
Of course some of us do play in smaller combos, but Elmsfeuer is our main project which always comes first.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
With our first release we’ve found our very own musical style. Despite some varieties which may occur, we’ll stay true to ourselves.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Every member of our band has a different favourite music which he or she brings into the songwriting process. This is why Elmsfeuer has its own unique sound and is hardly comparable to other musicians.
11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Wenches and rum
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview/
We want to thank you for the interview and of course thank all of the people who supported us so far. There’s a little pirate inside of everyone of you and it’s our goal to let him out. Yarrrrrrrr!