1. We have been preparing us for the upcoming shows and planning a tour just after the release of the new album. We have also already started jamming on some new tunes for our third album, it just feels like there is a lot of inspiration even though we just finished the second album. The man point of focus is rehearsing for the upcoming shows, which we are very excited for!
2.You have a new album coming out this year, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
2. The sound is heavier and the music is more diverse than the first one. The main themes in the first album were pretty much love and nightlife, in the upcoming album the lyrical theme is darker and death is not a subject that is avoided. The upcoming album is a bit more technical and the sound is both deeper and darker than in Dark city Nightlife.
3.This is going to be the first album released in 4 years, can you tell us a little bit more about the gap between releases?
3. We didn't want to release anything we'd be unhappy with and then there's some other stuff that we cant talk about. There was basically an ongoing creative process for four years, a massive amount of new songs were written but we felt that they just didn't make the grade. We also played a lot of shows around in Finland, we opened for The 69 Eyes in Rytmikorjaamo which was a memorable night. We also had a change of label, the first album was released under Studio 57 and the upcoming one is through Inverse records.
4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
4. Death is always a fascinating subject, which is also present in the new album's lyrical themes. The occult is also a theme that is presented in Demons Los Divas.Our inner demons and how we have to face them on a daily basis is a matter of important lyrical theme in the upcoming album.
5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Velvet Six'?
5.We were named hollow before but had to change that for legal reasons,
so we took ''Velvet'' from the song ”some velvet morning” by Lee Hazlewood and threw in the number six.
6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
6. Every single show is our favorite because we get to perform and play our music in front of a crowd. We love to feel the energy from the crowd and the exchange of energy between the band and the audience. Our stage performance is therefore very energetic and even raw at times. One of the most memorable shows is when we opened for The 69 Eyes and when we played in Semifinaali, Helsinki and Ville Valo was attending the event and gave our show a thumbs up.
7.Do you have any touring or show plans once the new album is released?
7. The first show is on April the tenth, which is also the release date for the album. After that we will pretty much be playing every weekend for a time unknown in the future. So far we only have booked shows in Finland, but a tour abroad is very likely in the near future.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of goth rock and metal?
8. It's been really good so far, people have liked the way we have all these different inspirations and how we mash them up to a entirely new entity. Many fans have told us that they like the diversity of our music as well, especially the heavy guitar riffs.
9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
9.It's almost impossible to say at this point, since we are just releasing our second album. Even though we already started jamming tunes for the third album, it's hard to say where it will eventually take us.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10.Danzig, Type o negative, Nick cave and the bad seeds, The cult and many more. Everyone in the band has their own preferences in music an therefore take their influences from bands ranging from ABBA to Lamb of god. So it's really a mishmash of different genres of music. Nowadays we listen to pretty much everything, except for ''dansband''.
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11.We have all different interests, some of us like to lift weights, some like gaming, sports and so on. We all like to party though, the nightlife is in our blood.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12. We'd like to thank all of our supporters and associates. Demons Los Divas will be released 10.4 and it will be available in around the world through many webstores, check out our Inverse Records page to find out where to get your copy: http://inverse.fi/wordpress2/sample-page/velvet-six/
Also visit our facebook page and give us a like at: https://www.facebook.com/velvetsixband?fref=ts
Listen to our music at our official Velvet Six Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/VelvetSixOfficial
The new album will also be available in Spotify, so check it out!