Thursday, May 2, 2013
Ape Machine Interview
1.Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never
> heard of you before?
1. Listen to Ape Machine and the rest will make sense.
> 2.How would you describe your musical sound?
2. If an airplane take-off was mixed with sizzling bacon, mating narwhals, and the keys of e flat. Add some weed, beer and a deep love for rock n roll.
> 3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with
> the music?
3. That varies from album to album. Usually ranges from saying fuck you to the criminal enterprise known as government to a more abstract and profound brain dump of the inner workings of Caleb's psyche. Sometimes it's just about stabbing a motherfucker.
> 4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
4. The name comes from a console in my recording studio. A tape machine label was missing a "t" and reads ape machine. It fits the music. Plus our drummer looks like an ape.
> 5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how
> would you describe your stage performance?
5. Every show is our best show. Stage performance is like four like-minded musicians loving, hating, living and harmonizing through amplifiers, vocal chords and drums. Come to the show.
> 6.Do you have any touring plans for the future?
6. Yes. We tour Europe in June and the US in August.
> 7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of
> stoner rock?
7. Well, if they're stoned, they love it! haha
> 8.Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this a full
> time line up?
8. We do studio work for other people. As far as a group of guys piled in a smelly van touring the world, this is it.
> 9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
9. Who knows. We just keep writing and whatever comes is what we do. Too hard to predict something like that. Chances are it will be fun for us and if we do it well, fun for you too.
> 10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music
> and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. Shit. A whole lot. I could give a list as long as all of our figurative arms put together. You could range from the Kinks, to Dust, Traffic, XTC, Deep Purple, Godflesh, Carcass, King Crimson, Willie Dixon, Johnny Cash, Neil Young, Ministry, Killing Joke, Budgie, Foreigner, Neil Sedaka, Quicksilver Messenger Service.. yeah.. that doesn't even scratch the surface.. If it's music, and it's good, chances are we're influenced by it. Nowadays we listen to our friends and label mates because we're generally on tour with them or in the studio recording their stuff. Or just a mix of whatever we feel like. One hour it's Acid Bath, another hour it's Willie Nelson..
> 11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
11. Outside of music? hmm..
> 12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
12. Go see some good live music!